"Vital and life-affirming theatre."
Fusion Theatre is an inclusive company based in Dandenong, in the south east of Melbourne, Australia. The membership of the company reflects the diversity of our community.
Since its beginnings as a drama group in 1997, the Fusion has expanded to two main performance ensembles that make up the company. The ensemble members collaborate with professional theatre makers, guest performing artists and designers to devise theatre performances based on members’ ideas, stories and imaginations.
Fusion Theatre is committed to developing the skills and talents of its members in an inclusive environment as they work together to create and present original and captivating theatre.
Fusion Theatre aims to:
- provide education and skills training in drama, movement, sound and design
- use these skills to make high quality and thought provoking performances
- provide a public presence and voice for people with disabilities in the community
- promote an affirmative view of disability through the performing arts
- provide opportunities for collaborations with community groups, for sharing experiences and for community participation
- raise awareness of matters and opportunities around disability and inclusivity for school students, educators and other professionals
- support and promote the City of Greater Dandenong’s goals for celebrating diversity and working for harmony and social cohesion in the community.
Since 1997 Fusion Theatre has:
- provided hands-on experience and training in creating and performing new works of theatre each year for over one hundred participants
- opened up avenues of communication and collaboration with education institutions and with other community groups in the City of Greater Dandenong
- developed and run successful drama-based workshops on diversity and inclusivity for schools, universities and at conferences nationally and internationally.
Fusion theatre and Deakin University
Fusion Theatre has had an ongoing association with Deakin University's Faculty of Arts and Education since the company's beginnings in 1997. Every year students of Theatre and Drama Education at Deakin have gained experience working with the company as assistants, performers, theatre technicians and directors. Some have continued their involvement with the company over many years and Deakin University alumni are members of the Fusion Board. The association has mutual benefit for both university students and members of the company through the energy, challenges and ideas they offer each other.